Adjunct Instructor - Art & Design - Art History/Intro. to Art
Under administrative direction from the program coordinator, department chairperson, and dean, individual shall perform some or all of the following duties:
- Design and teach courses in field of study.
- Plans, prepares, and follows an approved course of study that includes measurable objectives for each course taught.
- Prepares instructional materials (course outlines, syllabi, exams, mock-ups, visual aids, and instruction sheets) as necessary.
- Instructs, manages, and supervises individual and groups in classrooms, laboratories, and shops through using appropriate teaching methods.
- Evaluates instruction and learning by means of appropriate testing methods.
- Maintains a student-oriented approach to education.
- Recommends students for advancement and graduation.
- Maintains and submits accurate and current reports and records involving student accountability, attendance, performance, and follow-up.
- Coordinates cooperative work experience programs and students as assigned.
- Assists counselors, department chairperson and or program coordinator, faculty, and department staff in maintaining an effective program.
- Serves on committees and attends faculty and other meetings as assigned.
- Improves professionally and maintains currency in the courses taught by: Reading and utilizing materials found in trade, technical, and professional publications; Surveying and researching industrial and business establishments; Obtaining and maintaining certification and degrees as required; Attending professional and specialty courses; Keeping abreast of new development trends, and techniques.
- Is thoroughly familiar with the academic freedom and professional responsibility statement and adheres to these policies.
- Maintains desirable and safe laboratory, shop, and classroom conditions.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor?s degree in the subject matter or a closely related area.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Extensive knowledge of subject matter and course content of classes to be taught, instructional strategies and techniques.
Extensive knowledge of student management, motivation, and evaluation.
Extensive knowledge of evaluation of instruction, curriculum development, program development and evaluation.
Thorough knowledge of appropriate field of study.
Thorough knowledge of counseling and advising techniques.
Knowledge of work experience programs (if appropriate for assignment).
Skill in public speaking and report writing.
Effective human relations skills and communication techniques.
Ability to apply effectively general principles to specific conditions.
Ability to follow written and oral procedures and instructions.
Ability to work effectively with people.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master?s or doctorate degree in subject matter or a closely related area and one year of teaching or closely related professional experience OR bachelor?s degree in the subject matter and significant professional experience.
Standing, sitting, moving about a classroom continuously, continual talking and listening.
Utah Valley University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/ Equal Access Employer and committed to fostering a diverse workforce. As an inclusive community, we actively seek diversity among our applicants for this position. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are particularly encouraged to apply.
DOQ www.uvu.edu/hr/compensation for salary schedules