Safety Specialist III
Position may require working after hours and weekends to respond to emergency situations.If Temporary, Ending Date Recruiting Rate $37,812-62,388/annualized Beginning Salary Flexibility Yes Pay Basis Salary Required Education Bachelor's Degree Do you want to allow additional experience to substitute for required education? No Preferred Education Master's Degree Field of Study
Required: Bachelor?s degree in Basic or Applied Science, Engineering, Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Environmental Science or related field.
Preferred: Master?s degree in Basic or Applied Science, Engineering, Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Environmental Science or related field.
Preferred: Professional Certifications, such as: ASP/CSP, CHMM, CIH, REM or related to environmental health and safety functions as approved by the hiring manager.MS Office Experience Required Word, Excel, Outlook Will this position require driving a UT or personally owned vehicle? Yes - Essential Function Other Computer and Software Skills Required
Balances, scales, and various detection meters.
Personal computer, portable electronic devices, and standard office equipment.Experience and Other Skills Required
Five years of experience in chemical safety, biological safety, industrial hygiene, occupational safety, radiation safety, and/or environmental safety, to include two years of experience as a qualified respirator user in an employer approved respiratory protection program.
At the department?s discretion, each additional education can be substituted for 1 year of required experience.
Possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and ability to interact with a professional constituency.
Various material handling equipment, to include ladders, hand trucks, dollies, pallet jacks and powered industrial trucks.
Physical ability to sit, walk, kneel, bend, crawl and climb stairs and ladders with or without reasonable accommodations.
Valid Class C Texas Drivers License or ability to obtain one within thirty days of hire.
Criminal Background Check (CBC)Do you want to allow additional education to substitute for required experience? No Other Skills Preferred
Knowledge of chemical, biological, physical, radioactive material or environmental protection safety functions in order to assess hazards.
Experience working in an academic institution of higher education highly desired for this position.
Experience responding to hazardous spills, releases, and emergency situations.
Experience using pH meter, confined space gas detection meters and air flow monitoring equipment.
Excellent skills using MS WORD and EXCEL.Description of Job Duties
1. Coordinate, and assist campus faculty and staff to comply with, institutional policies and programs for chemical, biological, and/or environmental protection safety to include the identification of potential safety and health hazards. Make recommendations to management; develop policies and procedures; and advise employees, students, and faculty on using safe practices.
2. Respond to emergency hazardous material spills and releases as qualified by training and medical evaluation.
3. Collect and process bulk packages and/or prepare for shipment hazardous chemical, biological or radioactive materials to include waste materials. Assist with ensuring all universal waste and recyclable materials are properly collected, stored, and transported as required.
4. Conduct evaluations of potentially hazardous areas and conditions as directed by supervisor to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements. Dependent on assignment may be responsible to conduct periodic and one-time environmental monitoring for air contaminants, potable and non-potable water and soil testing.
5. Interact with equipment and hazardous material vendors, and contractors, environmental abatement and remediation contractors, and/or disposal companies as required to order supplies, certify and maintain safety equipment, or assist UTSA personnel. Work with manager or coordinator to develop material and equipment specifications.
6. As directed by supervisor, assist federal, state, and local officials charged with ensuring compliance with applicable regulations, guidelines, and environmental issues (i.e. ? EAA, EPA, OSHA, TXDSHS, and TCEQ, during onsite inspections or regulatory inquiries.
7. Coordinate and assist with investigations related to health and safety accidents and/or incidents to include hazardous substance releases, environmental concerns and other related accidents, injuries, or exposures.
8. Initiate preventative measures to proactively address potential health, safety, and environmental hazards.
9. Perform additional duties as assigned.Posting Open Date 09/26/2018 Posting Close Date at midnight on Open Until Filled Yes Special Notes To Applicants
WE CREATE positive change.
WE PARTNER to deliver excellent service.
WE RESPECT and care for each other.
WE VALUE and empower change.
WE DO the right thing
Safety Specialist III