Patient Services Assistant
Responsible for scheduling specialty appointments, obtaining insurance authorizations and referrals and processing collections for services, as a key member of the clerical support team for the Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery Clinic in the Department of Ophthalmology.
- Manage faculty schedules, including adjusting existing templates, adding new days and closing days.
- Collaborate with technicians and other allied health staff to ensure proper coordination of services and contribution to patient satisfaction goals.
- Provide information to patients regarding billing procedures.
- Collect cash and credit card payments using established guidelines to determine patient pay portion and insurance portion.
- Demonstrate understanding and compliance with University policies and KEC guiding principles that promote Caring, Teamwork, Integrity and Innovation.
- Ensure that patients with urgent medical needs are scheduled in accordance with triage guidelines and clinic schedules adjusted for patient care and clinic flow purposes.
- Other duties as directed by supervisor.
- High School Diploma or GED
- 0 ? 2 years of experience
- Respectful and compassionate attitude promoting service excellence.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent attendance record.
- Ability to prioritize assignments and work load.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Demonstrate flexible and creative problem solving skills.
- Demonstrate integrity and commitment to meeting or exceeding the needs of our patients and referring physicians.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative and collegial interactions with patients, family members, caregivers and coworkers.
- Demonstrate skill in keyboarding, Excel, Word and Power Point applications.
- Some college preferred.
- Experience with MiChart and Cadence applications
- Previous experience in a health care setting.
- Experience or knowledge in the field of ophthalmology.
Monday-Friday; work hours are dependent on clinic operation hours
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The Kellogg Eye Center of the University of Michigan is dedicated to enhancing quality of life by preserving and restoring vision. Our guiding principles are teamwork, caring, Innovation and integrity.
- Teamwork: We are a collegial, productive and collaborative community
- Caring: We are respectful and compassionate.
- Innovation: Our curiosity drives innovation and the quest for knowledge.
- Integrity: Our ethics are built on openness, honest and trust.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.