Research Specialist 3
About the Unit
The Lindau Laboratory at the University of Chicago is an interdisciplinary, fast-paced laboratory performing human-level observational, interventional, health services, geospatial and agent-based modeling research motivated by a fundamental concern for the principle of justice in health and health care. Over the last three years, the lab has grown rapidly in the number, complexity and size of our data assets; the number and span of our internal and external collaborations; and in our primary data sharing activities, including dissemination of and technical support for more than 100 custom datasets created for consumers of our urban built asset data. The Lab, funded predominantly by agencies of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services along with private philanthropy currently employs about 15 full and part-time researchers across disciplines including epidemiology, gerontology, anthropology, public health, and health care communications. The lab routinely collaborates across disciplines, University of Chicago units, and with investigators at other institutions including experts in the fields of computer science, design, architecture, psychology, public health and other medical and social science fields. In addition to her scholarly work, Dr. Lindau is a practicing gynecologist with specialized expertise in prevalence, prevention and treatment of sexual disorders in women. The work of the lab focuses in two main areas: 1) urban health and population health improvement, with a particular concern for people living in high-poverty communities and; 2) preservation and treatment of female sexuality in the context of aging, cancer and other common diseases. The two main areas of work include the South Side Health and Vitality Studies (SSHVS) and the Program in Integrative Sexual Medicine (PRISM). SSHVS is a well-established collaborative effort between university researchers and community members that aims to understand how community assets and information and communication technologies can be used to improve health and vitality.
Unit Job Summary
Research Specialist 3 Duties include, but are not limited to:
1. Project management: Manage, with support from the Research Director and PI, the scientific elements of study planning, monitoring, and execution of investigator-initiated research efforts to ensure timely progress toward scientific milestones and deliverables.
2. Data analysis and data management:
- Perform significant role in the design, development and implementation of quantitative and qualitative research studies
- Collaborate on research grant applications
- Independently contribute to development of study design and acquisition of data, and ensure fidelity to the study protocol, applying advanced knowledge of and contributing direction to the overall analytic plan
- Independently develop IRB protocols and collaborate with senior staff at the IRB to iterate protocols to comply with new IRB and HIPAA regulations or other guidance
- Independently track data collection progress, identify deviations from projected accrual plans, direct solutions to correct course, collaborate with research operations lead to ensure data collection progresses on budget and on time.
Perform, with support of the Research Director and PI, advanced analytic tasks to accomplish the scientific aims of the lab's research.
3. Train and mentor research trainees:
- Supervise research assistants in primary data collection in clinical trials, observational studies, and community-based data collection efforts; Conduct statistical analyses; demonstrated proficieny in descriptive, multivariable, and/or other advanced analyses using large datasets; duplicate analyses as part of the lab's quality assurance protocol
- Independently create and manage databases with support of research assistant staff and trainees and prepare datasets for analysis
- Draft presentations and manuscripts, including as first author and presenter, for the purposes of presentation at scientific meetings and publication in peer-reviewed literature
interact regularly, including on an as-needed/open-door basis, with research trainees in the lab to support their scholarly activities
- Contribute to recruitment of research trainees, fellows and staff
- Ensure trainees meet project milestones and ensure completion of trainees' research learning objectives
- Advise trainees the on data collection, analysis and dissemination
Relevant advanced degree
A minimum of two- three years of relevant research experience required.
Excellent critical thinking/problem solving skills required
Strong analytic skills as well as proficiency in STATA or equivalent programs required; ArcGIS experience a plus
Expertise in epidemiology, social science, populations studies, and/or community health preferred
Experience in grant making, manuscript writing and implementing human subjects protocols preferred
Proven expert level proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and scientific search engines required
Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal and relationship building skills required
Demonstrated ability to work independently or in team in a fast-paced, environment required
Excellent organization and verbal and written communication skills, as well as the ability to work effectively with people from many backgrounds required
Ability to work with sensitive subject matter and maintain strict confidentiality regarding research subjects and patients required
Ability to train and manage others required
Knowledge of regulatory policies and procedures required
Knowledge of scientific applications and equipment required
Analytical skills required
Attention to detail required
Required Job Seeker Documents
Reference Contact Information
Optional Job Seeker Documents
Campus - Hyde Park
Other Work Location
If other than regular hours (M-F, 8:30-5:00) please detail
The position does require flexibility. Grant writing periods (about 3 times/year) typically require
Union (If applicable):
Depends on Qualifications
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Is a Background Check Required?
Is Drug Testing Required?
Employee Referral Bonus Amount
Remove from posting on or before