Grants and Contracts Post Award Manager
About the Unit
The Grants and Contracts Post Award Manager is responsible for meeting and identifying deviations from established account management expectations and resolving account management problems. The successful candidate will be analytical, proactive, a problem solver, and possess exceptional communication skills. This individual will be self-motivated and have the ability to exercise sound judgement in prioritizing tasks
The individual in this position is also responsible for all financial and non-financial post-award activities for all sponsored projects for the University and acts as a liaison to sponsors for all departments and units assigned to the position. The individual is a member of a Team and must contribute to the team effort, as needed. This will involve assisting colleagues to ensure timely service to departments, units, and sponsors as needed and to perform back-up duties during vacation or sick leaves of other award team staff.
This position requires rapid proficiency in University of Chicago systems such as AURA, FAS, Workday, ACCTS, PETS, GEMS, e-Payments and a high level of proficiency in Excel. Incumbents are expected to review Sponsor guidelines and process or develop proposals in compliance with university and sponsor policies, and assist with other grant and contract activity.
The position requires direct contact with professional staff at the federal government, with non-federal sponsors, corporate sponsors, with other institutions, and with faculty and administrative staff at the University. Customer service is a high priority of the office and civility and professionalism are required at all times.
Unit Job Summary
(30%) Input and/or review data in university systems, inspecting for accuracy on account establishment for correct attributes such as: sponsor, indirect cost rates, billing pay modes, grant values, reporting requirements, etc. Ensure cost share is properly established and reported. Direct preparation of, monitor and approve sponsor required fiscal and management reports. Prepare and/or review billing reports and request invoices as appropriate. Complete/review and approve back-up documentation as necessary prior to submission of reports. Review and approve cost transfers. Assist billing area as needed to claim payments. Prioritize work in order to complete assignments on a timely basis. This includes distributing awards through AURA, establishing accounts in the financial system and updating records as necessary.
(30%) Partner with business units/departments to monitor post-award activities (grants management), such as submitting progress reports (RPPRs); requests for no-cost extensions; obtaining sponsor approvals for major changes to project workscope or major changes to anticipated expenditures, etc. This includes the processing for all Concurrence Requests (CRs) and continuations (CNs) in AURA. Implement actions to proactively avoid problems with accounts.
(25%) Manage all close-out activities for sponsored projects, coordinating efforts between the PI, department/unit, and Sponsor. Manage and/or coordinate project transfers and closeouts when a faculty member leaves the University. Communicate and collaborate with university departments/units to facilitate smooth transition throughout the full life cycle.
(15%) Gain and maintain thorough understanding of university and sponsor regulations. Develop relationships with sponsor personnel while monitoring developments/changes within sponsoring agency. Continuously seek to improve account management process. Draft outgoing subawards and sponsored consulting agreements as necessary. Provide institutional endorsements per delegation. Submit/complete all FFATA reporting as necessary for federal subawards and subcontracts.
Bachelor's degree required. Bachelor's degree in a business or Liberal Arts field preferred.
- A minimum three years of experience working with sponsored research administration in an academic environment preferred.
- Relevant experience interpreting sponsored research grants and contracts, and working with budgets, ledgers, invoices and fiscal reporting preferred.
- Knowledge of Federal Circulars applicable to universities (OMB A-21, A-110, A-133 or the Uniform Guidance) or interpretation of similar regulations is required.
- Experience with University of Chicago systems such as AURA, FAS, ACCTS/PETS, GEMS, and Workday preferred.
- Ability to work with various sponsor electronic systems required.
- Rapid proficiency in the use of University of Chicago systems required.
- Strong computer skills including word processing database management, and spreadsheet skills required.
- Ability to interpret sponsor guidelines and regulations to ensure accurate response
- Ability to manage detail-oriented workload required.
- Good Negotiation skills required.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload during high-pressure, high-volume workload periods required.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, discretion, and tact required.
- Ability to manage stress required.
- Ability to handle multiple, concurrent tasks required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Some travel may be required.
- Ability to communicate in writing
- Ability to communicate orally
- Ability to develop and manage interpersonal relationships
- Ability to exercise absolute discretion regarding confidential matters
- Ability to pay attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively and collegially with little supervision or as member of a team
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions
- Ability to sit for 4 hours or more
- Ability to use computers extensively for 4 hours or more
- Ability to travel to various on-campus locations on a daily basis
- Ability to Use Standard Office Equipment
Required Job Seeker Documents
Optional Job Seeker Documents
Campus - Hyde Park
Other Work Location
If other than regular hours (M-F, 8:30-5:00) please detail
Union (If applicable):
Depends on Qualifications
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Is a Background Check Required?
Is Drug Testing Required?
Employee Referral Bonus Amount
Remove from posting on or before
Grants and Contracts Post Award Manager