Account Reconciliation Specialist
UALR Functional Title
Account Reconciliation Specialist / R96838
The Account Reconciliation Specialist is responsible for the reconciliation of multiple accounts in the Bursar?s Office. This position requires analytical thinking, attention to detail and organization. They must have exceptional communication skills and customer services skills in the performance of all assigned duties and maintain responsiveness to the needs of external and internal customers through courteous and professional behavior. This position is governed by state and federal laws and agency/institution policy.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with other Bursar employees to provide efficient and positive customer service to all student, faculty and staff;
- Establish rules for 1098T Tuition Statements for students and the IRS. All 1098T processing requirements and coordinates the collection of SSN or ITIN for tax purposes;
- Reconcile accounts receivable;
- Manage late payment fee process;
- Work with Records and Registration regarding all consortium courses;
- Reconciles bank card and general funds using Cashnet, Banner and other applications;
- Bill and reconcile foundation scholarships in conjunction with Financial Aid;
- Notify students of collection proceeding, process accounts to a collection agency, maintain records and work with the collection agency for accurate balances and reconciliation;
- Manage debt set off program and all correspondence including submission to the Department of Finance;
- Create journal vouchers/credit memos to correct accounting errors, incorrect posting or deposits;
- Maintain internal and external payment plans for students;
- Process and reconcile insurance charges (Nursing, Social Work and International Insurance) throughout the year and at year end;
- Process and reconcile food service/housing charges;
- Track, adjust and monitor special accounts (Clinton, WMBA, etc?)
- Supply technical support through data manipulation and extraction;
- Work with Accounts Payable on outstanding checks;
- Work flexible hours as needed 1) during peak times, 2) occasional work from home; 3) to attend professional development activities;
- Testing for Banner upgrades and other application systems;
- Process bankruptcies;
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possess superior verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills;
- Must be self-motivated, creative, customer-service focused and detail-oriented;
- Demonstrate ability to work in a fast-paced multi-tasking environment;
- Knowledge of customer services techniques;
- Ability to be proficient in the use of information technology applications;
- Must be organized and able to work on multiple projects at once while staying on track and producing results as scheduled;
- Ability to comprehend and assimilate technical and business related documents;
- Ability to work alone, in a group and work as a team player;
- Ability to coordinate and collaborate with other departments;
- Knowledge of accounting principles and database management;
- Knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, and policies of assigned section;
- Ability to deal with high pressure situations while maintaining professional behavior;
- Ability to conduct research, performs basic quantitative quality assurance reviews, and prepare reports;
- Ability to exhibit strong organizational skills;
- Ability to apply policies and procedures and other applicable regulations associated with assigned department or program;
- Ability to effectively communicate in person, over the phone and in writing to all customers, while providing excellent customer service.
Required Education and/or Experience
A bachelor?s degree in general business, finance, accounting or a related field. Applicant must have at least two (2) years of experience in accounting and customer services. Technical experience is required.
Preferred Education and/or Experience
Experience in higher education; not required but preferred. Demonstrates written and verbal communication skills and experience in working with a positive team environment with strong interpersonal and relationship skills.
Experience with Banner or other higher education applications.
Background Check Requirements
01 - Criminal/Financial
Essential Job Functions
Sedentary Work - Exerting 10 pounds: Occasionally, Lifting 5 -10 lbs: Occasionally, Carrying 5-10 lbs: Occasionally, Pushing/pulling 5-10 lbs: Occasionally, Speaking; Essential, Hearing: Essential, Vision: Ability to distinguish similar colors, depth perception, close vision: Essential, Walking - Short Distances: Occasionally
Spends approximately 75% or more time indoors
Posting Detail Information
Background Check Statement
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal and financial history background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history information alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
UALR EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and actively seeks the candidacy of minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Under Arkansas law, all applications are subject to disclosure. Persons hired must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States.
Special Instructions to Applicants