General Summary of Position:
A nurse is responsible for providing competent professional nursing care using the nursing process. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
Hematology/Oncology/Blood and Marrow Transplant Unit ? 2 Bles
2 Bles is an 18-bed, newly renovated, Hematology/Oncology/Blood and Marrow Transplant Unit. 2 Bles is one of two adult inpatient oncology units at MedStar Georgetown, caring for the patients of the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center, established in 1971. Lombardi was initally designated by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) in 1974 and achieved NCI comprehensive status in 1990. The mission of Lombardi is to improve the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of cancer through innovative basic science, clinical research, patient care, community outreach, and the training of cancer specialists of the future.
The patient population of 2 Bles includes all hematologic diseases and cancers (leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, ITP, sickle cell anemia), autologous PBSC transplant patients, oncologic solid tumor, and a wide range of medical diagnoses. The nurses on 2 Bles provide expert care for their patients, often utilizing a number of hematology/oncology research protocols. In the spring of 2013, MedStar Georgetown entered into an affiliation with Hackensack University Medical Center (HUMC) to establish a Blood and Marrow Stem Cell Transplantation Program. This agreement creates greater access to people with cancer, blood diseases and immune deficiency conditions to receive lifesaving treatment in the Washington, D.C., area. In 2016, the Blood and Marrow Stem Cell Transplantation Program received FACT accreditation for autologous transplants.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. Bachelor?s degree or higher in Nursing preferred.
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION: Current D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse upon hire. Certification in Basic Life Support. Certification in specialty or related specialty preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: To meet unit criteria, at least two (2) years of recent acute care experience in the relevant patient care area. Experience with Cerner (SurgiNet) Computerized Charting System is preferred.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Ability to perform the nursing technologies. Effective verbal and written communication skills. Ability to set priorities and work under stress.
- PRACTICE & QUALITY
- Provides relationship-based care that promotes continuous, consistent, efficient, and accountable delivery of nursing care using the nursing process.
- Demonstrates professional practice utilizing the framework of the professional practice model and is grounded in a culture of safety and quality.
- COMMUNICATION & COLLABORATION
- Communicates and collaborates with interprofessional groups to ensure coordination, continuity and safe care.
- Communicates verbal information and documents written and electronic information that reflects the planned and delivered care for patients.
- Supports and contributes to the unit, department and organizational goals inclusive of the mission, vision and values.
- Demonstrates advocacy and support on behalf of interprofessional teams and patients.
- Delegates and supervises nursing staff in providing patient care and assumes leadership roles, e.g., charge nurse role. Participates in the development and implementation of quality activities.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Serves as a preceptor or mentor.
- Participates in professional development activities.
- Incorporates evidence-based practice and research into patient care delivery.
Career, Employment, Jobs, Opening, Staff, Department, Unit, Office, Occupation, Compensation, Salary, Benefits, Hospital, Health Care, Clinic, Healthcare, Physician, Medical, Clinical, RN, Registered Nurse, BSN, MSN, Bachelor's Degree in Nursing, Master's, Cancer, Oncology, Oncological, Hem/Onc, Hematology, Hematological, BMT, Bone Marrow Transplant, Chemo, Chemotherapy, Infusion, OCN, Oncology Certified Nurse